Ann Arbor, Michigan
As a member of the leadership team this position will provide strategic leadership and operational oversight of Developing standards and best practices for the use of third-party intellectual property, negotiating, promoting and managing agreements with content suppliers, supporting the administration of publishing (author) contracts, administering copyright registrations, and providing assistance on copyright claims and inquiries. Working proactively with Legal and with businesses and functions across XanEdu. This position plays a core collaborative role in devising and ensuing standard, efficient and optimally effective policies and agreements/licenses for the use of assets. This role will drive licensing practices that enable current and emerging business models and publishing plans throughout the product lifecycle. Prioritizing continuous improvement, reporting, and analyzing KPIs and data to promote responsive change.
Role and Responsibilities
- Working closely with Legal to standardize and optimize licenses for inbound and outbound assets.
- Keeping abreast of and anticipating evolving business plans and strategies to ensure both rights considerations and business needs are addressed.
- Supporting and educating business teams promptly and proactively on copyright matters to ensure best practices.
- Monitoring developments with copyright collectives, licensing services, and digital libraries.
- Negotiating, promoting and managing agreements with content suppliers
- Developing strategies and priorities in consultation with businesses for agreements with content suppliers to support strategic objectives.
- Negotiating deals that align terms with publishing plans, increase operational efficiency, and streamline costs. Proactively pursuing renewals and obtains amendments that continually optimize value for the business.
- Tracking and managing agreements, reporting on usage, troubleshooting issues, and building relationships with suppliers.
- Supporting the administration of publishing (author) contracts
- Administering reversion of rights and providing other services as required
- Providing support as required for acquisitions
- Registering products and content as necessary with US Copyright Office.
- Advising on intellectual property to be registered and ways to create efficiencies and reduce costs of registration.
- Engaging Copyright Office on registration procedures.
- Providing assistance on copyright claims and inquiries
- Supplying support for informal claims and formal litigation matters, including the review, research, and analysis related to licensed content (e.g., license agreements, invoices, and use).
- Investigating and addressing activity related to claims.
- Demonstrating leadership and developing talent to build a high-performing team and collaborative ways of working in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Preparing and monitoring individual development plans to facilitate achievement of goals, job satisfaction, and career growth.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- 3 – 5 years success in management/leadership role in Contracts Management, Licensing, Rights & Permissions or other Intellectual Property function.
- Publishing or media experience
- Bachelor’s degree, plus Juris Doctor (or other Law degree) or MBA
- Innovation and problem-solving
- Excellent Communication and collaboration skills
- Leadership and talent development
- Deep knowledge of IP
- Digital/media knowledge
- Data analytics
- Computer skills (Microsoft Suite)
- 401K, dental, life, medical, vision
- XanEdu, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer.